Breakfast. On the weekends it is a leisurely time of eggs and avocado, full English or pancakes for most. But during the week it can be rushed, expensive (hello £12 on a coffee and breakfast pot) or just not happen. So it can really help to have bits in the cupboard to grab and go on the run.
These breakfast bars are chocked full of goodness, natural energy and the perfect way to start your day after a night's sleep,
They'd also be perfect to wack in the kids lunchboxes (be careful though- as they have nuts, which can be problematic for some schools), pre-gym energy or just in your bag for a 4pm pick me up.
These are quite fiery so make sure to add the smallest amount of spice and then increase as you taste it. I like mine with a kick- but I don't want to blow your head off!
175g rolled oats (gluten free if needed)
85g desiccated coconut
115g cashews, roughly chopped
30g Maca Powder (I found this super cheap in Aldi- who'd have thought!)
220g Tropical Trail Mix (or a mix of different nuts, seeds and dried fruit)
200g Dates, soaked in 100ml coconut milk for 1 hour, then blended
3 tbsp milled flax seed, soaked in 9 tbsp coconut milk for 30 mins
1-2tsp Ginger powder
Pinch of salt
(A squeeze of maple, agave or honey if you like it a little sweeter)
1. Soak dates in coconut milk for one hour and then blend to a smooth paste.
2. Soak milled flax seed in coconut milk for 30 mins.
3. Whilst these are soaking, measure out all your ingredients in a big bowl.
4. Stir until mixed.
5. Line a standard size baking tray with grease proof paper.
6. Add the soaked flax seed and blended dates and mix until well combined.
7. TASTE! TASTE! Tweak the spices according to your taste.
8. Pour mix into tray and press down firmly to combine mixture.
9. Place into the fridge for 3+ hours.
10. Cut into desired sizes, and for ease of grab'n'go, wrap in cling film.
Keep in the fridge for up to 8 days.
(If you want to go crazy, you can use some mixture, break it up and wack it in the oven until crispy- hey granola. 241 baby!)
Hey.. I'm Phoebe, the woman behind Cake + Cucumber. Here in the blog page, I want to share with you some of our popular recipes, sprinkled with thoughts + odd rant of a twenty-something woman. Re-create, join the conversation and, most of all, enjoy. (Remember if you sign up for the newsletter you get exclusive recipes + discounts on our products).